:)

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Petrified Forest

When I was in about 4th or 5th grade, I lived in Jackson, MS and my class took a trip to the Petrified Forest in Flora, MS, a fabulous and little known National Landmark. It was one of the most memorable experiences of my young life, hiking through the woods and stopping at checkpoints of huge chunks of petrified wood.

In the gift shop they had all kinds of little specimen stones and fossils, and I bought a tiny little piece of tigereye, which I still have, and which I will scan and post when I find it. It was the beginning of my connection with rocks, minerals and fossils and my collection has grown over the years. Making jewelry allows me to gather some favorite gemstones together without having to display them somewhere. I generally work with gemstones that I am most attracted to.

If you ever find yourself in Flora, MS, enjoy a visit to the Petrified Forest!

No comments:

Post a Comment